IFMGA Internationally Certified Guide
AMGA Certified Ski Mountaineering Guide
AMGA Certified Rock Guide
AMGA Certified Alpine Guide
AIARE Avalanche Education Instructor
Critical Care Flight Paramedic
Jon is certified internationally by the UIAGM/IFMGA and examined and certified at the international standard by the AMGA as a Rock Guide, an Alpine Guide, and a Ski Mountaineering Guide. Certification in each discipline requires passing a rigorous multi-day peer assessment exam. Jon began climbing as a teenager in the mid 70's. With a passion for rock, snow, and ice, Jon's accomplishments as a climber and guide include several high altitude peaks as well as difficult first ascent rock climbs and hundreds of multi-pitch rock and alpine routes throughout the Americas.
• Professional guide since 1983, climber since 1975
• American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) certified Rock Guide (1992) and Alpine Guide (1997), and Ski Mountaineering Guide (2006)
• AMGA Professional member since 1988
• Registered Maine Guide
• First to be granted Lifetime Membership in the AMGA in 2004
• B.S. Parks and Forest Recreation with additional studies in education and emergency medicine
• Founding Director Emeritus of Maine Bound, the University of Maine outdoor education program
• AMGA Advanced Alpine Guide's Course (1995) and Advanced Rock Guide's Course (1990)
• American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education Instructor
• Paramedic (since 1988) with additional training and experience in critical care and flight medicine
• Wilderness First Responder and WEMT Instructor for Wilderness Medical Associates (since 1986)
• Served 2 terms on the Board of Directors and Technical Committee member, American Mountain Guides Association
• Served on the Board of Directors, Friends of Baxter State Park
• Accreditation examiner for Climbing Gym Association and American Mountain Guides Association
• Curriculum author, founding program coordinator and former instructor trainer for the AMGA Top Rope Site Manager Course and Certification.
• Guided over 40 successful high altitude (over 18,000') mountaineering ascents
• Conference presentor at national and regional outdoor education and wilderness risk conferences
• Author of Rock Climber's Guide to Clifton, Maine
• Author of Winter Mountaineering and Backcountry Travel in Baxter State Park
• Co-author of Technical Rescue Standards for Maine Search and Rescue
• Technical editor of Go Climb
• Formerly a mountain rescue climbing ranger at Rocky Mountain National Park and a rescue team member on Denali.
Some of his favorite areas include the East Face of Long's Peak (the Diamond), Red Rocks, Yosemite, Joshua Tree, Tetons, Rocky Mountains, Shawangunks, Lumpy Ridge, Denali (Mount McKinley), New Hampshire, Canadien Rockies, Bugaboos, Quebec, China, North Cascades, Venezuela, Ecuador, Mexico and Argentina as well as his home areas of Acadia, Clifton and Katahdin. He began guiding in 1983 and has been dedicated to wilderness education on a full-time basis since then. Seeing a need for improved professional standards in guiding, Jon became actively involved in developing nationally recognized guide education programs. He served several terms on the AMGA board of directors and was accreditation reviewer for the AMGA climbing programs. He hascontinually strived to synthesize good concepts, challenge usual paradigms, and develop new ideas to raise guiding standards. He developed a nationwide curriculum in top rope site management for the AMGA in the late nineties. Jon is the owner of Acadia Mountain Guides Climbing School.
A History of
Leading the way...
Acadia Mountain Guides Climbing School is the preeminent leader in climbing instruction and guiding in Acadia and across Maine. We specialize in designing customized experiences or training for you, your family or your group.
Directed by internationally recognized IFMGA guide Jon Tierney who has been climbing in Acadia since 1982. Jon has over 30 years of local and worldwide experience. The IFMGA requires full AMGA certification as a rock, alpine and ski mountaineering guide.
All AMGCS instructors are certified by either the AMGA or the PCIA and all guides have been trained or certified by the AMGA.
• Since 1994 •
AMGCS is one of 30 AMGA accredited programs in the US and was one of the earliest to achieve accreditation.
AMGCS is the only climbing school in Maine to remain continuously accredited by the AMGA for eighteen years - several years longer than any other local service. We have had one or more full time AMGA certified rock instructors or rock guides on staff each year since 1994 - sixteen years more than any other local school.
• Since 2007 •
AMGCS has the distinction of also being accredited to the highest standards of the Professional Climbing Instructors Association. The PCIA requires all staff to be individually trained and certified.
Experience the difference.
Reach your peak with Acadia Mountain Guides Climbing School.